INDIANAPOLIS -- A source close to LeSean McCoy said Thursday the Buffalo Bills running back is not expecting to be charged for his alleged role in a Feb. 7 nightclub brawl in Philadelphia.
The Buffalo News learned, however, that someone with McCoy during the altercation that resulted in two off-duty police officers suffering injuries could be charged.
A spokesman for the Philadelphia District Attorney refuted the report, saying its office was still investigating the matter and that no decisions on charges had been made and didn't expect any to come Thursday or Friday.
The News also learned that on Tuesday the DA met with McCoy and his attorney, Dennis Cogan, at Cogan's request, for two hours. A source close to McCoy said the attorney wanted to share the findings of his investigators with the DA, and contrary to public remarks by John McNesby, president of the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police, McCoy wasn't receiving "preferential treatment."
After the meeting, Cogan told reporters the same thing he told The News last week: that his client "did nothing wrong."
Regardless of whether McCoy is charged or convicted, he still could face a suspension from the NFL as part of its personal-conduct policy.
While addressing reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine Wednesday, Bills coach Rex Ryan would not address specifics of the case, beyond saying he had spoken with McCoy on the morning of Feb. 8. Ryan also said the the Bills were "prepared for everything," including the possibility of selecting a running back in April's NFL Draft.
Bills General Manager Doug Whaley wouldn't comment on McCoy Thursday.